This recipe is adapted from my Oil-Free Gingerbread Granola. I can’t say this one is oil-free since it does contain peanut oils from the butter however it is refined oil and refined sugar free!
Makes ~4 cups
- 4 cups rolled oats (not instant and to make a gluten free option use certified gluten free oats)
- 1 cup chopped cooking dates
- 1 ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 very ripe banana (must be spotty brown)
- 1/3 cup natural chunky peanut butter (I grind my own at a health food store- way cheaper than pre-packaged)
Preheat oven to 275 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, measure out the oats and set it aside. In a medium saucepan, bring dates and water up to a boil over high heat, add salt and vanilla, turn down heat to medium-low and cover. Cook dates for 10 minutes until very soft, adding more water if necessary (1 tablespoon at a time). Add the dates and the rest of the ingredients to a blender or food processor and puree until very smooth. Add puree to oats and with a spatula mix until the oats are coated. Transfer coated oats to lined baking sheet and cook for 40 minutes, turning oats every 10 minutes. It will crisp up as it cools and you can break up the larger chunks with your hands. Serve with the non-dairy milk of your choice and some banana slices on top.